The build up of sin and the rejection of God’s counsel is like:
- A Wall
- The wall is cracked but has not yet collapsed
- Sin is pressuring the wall
- When it does fall it will be sudden
- A Jug
- One minute it is all together and useful
- In an instant it becomes uselessly shattered
- Destruction is so great that the simplest tasks are impossible
- Sin builds up and disaster is not immediate
- Sin causes a crack but this is not the collapse
Remedy: Go to the Holy One no matter how difficult it is or how radical your life my have to change. The alternative is a complete overthrow.
The Lord wants good for these people but since they refuse to obey and to wait for God they will receive none of his salvation and strength. God is now forced to wait on them until they have gone through disasters. Rebellion towards God not only brings disaster it keeps God’s salvation and strength away.
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those went to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing. Look, your house is left you desolate. For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.” - Matthew 23:37
God offers himself and they choose horses.
They have planned their escape on horses. God says they will use them.
The enemy will be swifter. There is always someone or something stronger or faster.
Our only hope is to side with God who is always the best.
Since they trusted in something weak and not worth trusting (Egypt, themselves) the fleeing will
begin quickly. Once they realize their hope has failed them thousands will begin fleeing.
There will be no confidence left when they see Egypt and themselves fail.
The flagstaff on a mountaintop may represent Jerusalem after 701 deliverance because Jerusalem was the only thing left standing.The flag bearer during a battle holds
the flag in a visible place so every one will know where to rally to during the battle or at the end.
In this case, the only thing left standing is the flag bearer. Everyone else was killed.
Therefore the Lord waits to be gracious to you,
and therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you.
For the Lord is a God of justice;
blessed are all those who wait for him. - Isaiah 30:18
This verse shows that God is ready to be gracious when the people are ready.
God is now waiting for the people to get ready.
“The Lord is a God of justice” is saying to the people that:
- God is reachable with our prayers and repentance
- God responds to our situation and our attitudes
- God is aware of our commitment, our suffering, our waiting.
- God is fair and will give us what is right
- Discipline when needed
- Graciousness when we are ready. You can count on it.
- When the time is right God will deliver.
- He will payback:Punishment to those who deserve it
- Rewards to those who have earned them.
It also means God is not:
- Random in his judgment
- Judges quickly in a rage
- Unresponsive to our repentance
- Unaware that we are human