Daniel 9:20 –
Daniel still confessed his own sin.
Proverbs 20:9 – “Who can say, “I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and
1 John 1:8 – “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is
not in us.”
Daniel 9:21 –
Gabriel was the angel from the early vision in 8:15 after the goat and ram vision.
“in swift flight” might be better translated “in my extreme weariness” as it is in the
1. It is a better, more natural translation of the Hebrew
2. Gabriel is described as a man, and men don’t fly
3. Rarely do angels have wings and normal angels never fly.
4. Daniel is extremely weary from fasting
Time of the evening sacrifice would be between 3:00-4:00. This is the time of
prayer and Daniel had been praying at this time.
Notice there had been no evening sacrifice since 586 and it is no 538, or 47 years
Gabriel “instructed” Daniel
Gabriel came to give Daniel “insight” and “understanding.”
Gabriel is going to provide an answer to Daniel’s prayer.
“I”, as in Gabriel, is emphatic meaning it is an important fact that “I” was the one
sent. The angel who told Zechariah I stand before God in Luke 1:19!
Since Gabriel is really there this is really no a vision, but a visitation and
appearance of an angel. Remember when Peter was let out of prison by
an angel and thought it was a vision but it was not. It was instead real time and real location.
Daniel is said to be “highly esteemed” which means someone who is desired or
counted precious. Plus, it is in the plural which intensifies “highly
“consider the message” – consider the words being spoken
“understand the vision” – “vision” is “mar’eh” which also means “appearance”
and refers to the appearance of the revelation in the message (not the appearance of the angel Gabriel.
So, message and vision (“mar’eh” = revelation) refer to the same thing and would mean, “Consider the words and understand the revelation”
First 69 sevens
Events between the 69th seven and the 70th seven
Two major views of interpretation:
1) Christological (centered on Jesus Christ)
2) Non-Christological (not centered on Jesus Christ)
Non-Christological has two views
1) Liberal, critical view – assume Daniel is a forgery written around 165 BC during Macabean Revolt. They say that the writer, pseudo-Daniel, confuses the 70 years of captivity with 70 sevens. This means that Gabriel was speaking of the seventy years that Jeremiah spoke about and that Daniel began to pray about, but when Gabriel began to speak of the future Daniel got confused. This means whatever they were talking about has already been fulfilled with the return from captivity. Even the early Jewish and Christian writers saw this fulfilled in 70 AD.
2) Conservative amillennial
view – most can not make any sense of these verses and are left to mock those
who find a literal fulfillment coming in the future. Some consider the sevens
to be periods of years, while others consider the 70 sevens to mean an
indefinite period of time. Very few see the sevens as referring to days. There
is no interpretation that can accomplish any of these predictions in 490 days.
So, they conclude that we don’t really know what seventy sevens mean and again
mock anyone who claims to understand the meaning. They may go to numerical
representations such as 7 is God’s number for his work, completion, perfection.
With this they end by saying this means the fullness of God’s completed work!! Which of course leaves the verse uselessly hanging. Some
read the first 69 sevens as literal reaching to the time of Jesus, but then
spiritualize the 70th seven. Others see the 70th week
occurring in 70 AD when
a. Extremely and totally subjective
b. Inconsistency of interpreting some things like Cyrus as literal, but the city as the church????
c. Christ and the Church, which are always victorious, are now seen as defeated by the anit-christ.
d. The “sevens” are unevenly distributed and interpreted. The first period has “sevens” that last 80 years; the second period has “sevens” that last 30 years; the third “seven” is either 7 years or unknown.
Interpretation – is also diverse. All agree the prophecy hinges on Jesus, the
Messiah and the nation of
1) Amillenialist consider the 70th week to have occurred immediately after the 69th week and so has already been fulfilled.
2) Others consider the 70th week to be separated from the 69 weeks and yet future.
“weeks” or “sevens” is the word that refers to a period of 7. In this case 7 years.
“decreed” - this word means that this period of time has been determined which
ndicates they are part of God’s total plan and will happen just as he has
This declared period of 490 years is for:
1) Your people (
2) Your holy city (
Remember, chapters 2, 7 and 8 referred to the Gentiles. Remember Daniel 2:4 the writing switches from Hebrew to Aramaic. It is now being written in Hebrew again.
There is no way, no room, no hermeneutics that can connect these verses to the church.
There is no way Daniel is thinking these words mean anything other than the
This declared period of 490 years will accomplish these six things:
1) Finish transgression – finish means to bring to an
2) Put an end to sin – may mean to take away sin, bring sin to final judgment or seal up sin. The sealing up sin would be similar to locking it in prison. Sin is removed and caused to be ineffective.
3) Atone for wickedness – or, to make reconciliation for iniquity. This is mentioned in 2 Corinthians 5:19
4) Bring in everlasting righteousness – occurred on the cross or at the second coming of Christ. Jeremiah 23:5-6 and Isaiah 11:2-5 speak of this character of the Messiah’s kingdom
5) Seal up vision and prophecy – “seal up” means no more is to be added. Concerning what has been prophesied will be fulfilled.
6) Anoint the most holy – some claim this was the