“This is the account of Shem”
10:5 – “From these the maritime peoples spread out
into their territories by their clans within their nations, each with its own
These are the people of the north
people of the sea and the islands of the west, the Mediterranean people
- Mentioned in Ezekiel 38:6
- The Akkadians called them
Gi-mir-ra-a or the Cimmerians
- This people migrated through
- Originally occupied the area
north of the Black Sea
- Later they invaded the
Scythians and moved into the Caucasus mountains
- Mentioned in Ezekiels 38and 39
- Magog is always against Israel
- These are the Medes of the Old
- They lived between the Tigris River
and the Caspian Sea
- Opposed the Assyrians in the
- Joined with Persians around
- They occupied modern northwest
- Associated with the Greek
tribal name Ionia who lived on the western coast of Asia Minor
- In the Old Testament the
people of Javan are merchants who trade with the Phoenicians of Tyre in
Ezekiel 27:13 and with the Philistines in Joel 4:6.
- These are the people who
settled southern Greece
and western Asia Minor
- Javan is mentioned along with
Tubal and Meshech in Isaiah 66:19 and Ezekiel 27:13.
- Territory is in eastern
Anatolia or eastern Turkey
- The Akkadian’s called them
- Territory is also in eastern Anatolia along with Tubal.
- Associated with Muski or Musku
in Assyrian texts.
- Ancient Egyptian text called
them Turasha which is Tyrrhennians.
- These are later called the
Etruscans of Italy
- Some have connected them with
- Lived on the northern Euphrates River
- The name of these people are
called on in Jeremiah 51:27 along with Ararat to rise up against Babylon
- They are the Ashkuza (or,
Ishguza) who fought the Assyrinas around 675 BC.
- The Greek historian Herodotus
knows them and calls them Scythians.
- They occupied areas north and
east of the Black Sea into the steppes of Russia
- Most likely also located in
the area of Modern Turkey
- In Ezekiel 27:14 they export
horses to Tyre
- In Ezekiel 38:6 they join in
with God of Magog’s invasion of Israel and is called Beth
Togarmah by Ezekiel
- In cuneiform this name is
Alashiya and refers to the island
- Mentioned in Ezekiel 27:7
- The word “tarshish” is related
to an Addadian word “rasasu” that means “to smelt or heat” and metals
where exported from Tarshish in
- In the Old Testament this is a
port city on the Mediterranean Sea that
is a distant location.
- Since Tarshish is a son of
Javan (Ionian or Greece)
then it is easy to see Tarshish as a land or sea port beyond Greece.
- Tarshish is mentioned in 1
Kings 10:22, Jeremiah 10:9, Ezekiel 27:12 as a place where silver, iron,
tin, lead, ivory, monkeys and peacocks were shipped.
- In Jonah 1:3 a ship leaves
Joppa and sails west into the Mediterranean Sea
- But, in 1 Kings 10:22; 22:49
and 2 Chronicles 9:21 Solomon’s and Jehoshaphat’s ships use Ezion-geber
as a port to sail out the Red Sea into the Indian
Ocean to reach Tarshish.
- It appears then that Tarshish
could be reached either by going south out the Red Sea or going west
through the Mediterranean Sea
- Tarshish is a distant sea port
probably in Spain
but refers sea ports of the western world.
- There is a mining village in
- The Kittim
- Kittim is a Phoenician city on
the southeast coast of Cyprus
- Isaiah 23:1 refers to Kittim
as a land and Ezekiel 27:6 refers to Kittim as islands.
- Balaam’s prophecy of Numbers
24:24 makes it clear the Kittim is reached with ships.
- In the Old Testament Kittim
refers to the far west.
- The Rodanim
- Is assumed to be the island of Rhodes,
a large island in the Aegean Sea
southwest of Turkey.
prophecy of chapter 9:27:
; may Japheth
live in the tents of Shem.”
of Japheth settled from
across Asia Minor and into southern
man he made every nation of men that they should inhabit the whole earth.”
Acts 17:26, NIV
distinguishes people as tribes, clans or national groups since they all come
uses the word “race” which places people groups on different levels of the
difference between any two people is 0.2 %, but of this 0.2% only 6% is due to
race (Asian and Caucasian). 85% of this
total 0.2% difference between two people occurs within their own race because
they are two different people.
How did the different skin colors originate?
- We all have the same coloring
pigment in our sin called melanin
- All skin color is some shade of
- Melanin protects the skin
against ultraviolet damage from the light of the sun.
- Too little melanin in a very
sunny environment will cause sunburn and skin cancer
- Too much melanin with little
sunshine will make it difficult to get enough vitamin D which needs
sunshine for its production. Result
of a vitamin D deficiency is bone disorders.
people lived in the general area of
, spoke the same language and
shared a common culture. No borders, no
language barriers, no culture differences. Their skin color stayed basically the same because marriage would have
been unhindered by borders, language and culture. The confusion of language put these people
into pockets which caused limited choices for marriage.
10:18-20 – “Later the Canaanite clans scattered and
the borders of Canaan reached from Sidon toward
Gerar as far as Gaza, and then toward Sodom, Gomorarah, Admah
and Zeboiim, as far as Lasha. These are
the sons of Ham by their clans and languages, in their territories and
- 10:8 – “Cush was the father of Nimrod, who grew
to be a mighty warrior on the earth.”
- 10:9 – “He was a mighty hunter before the Lord; . . . “
- 10:9 – “That is why it is said, ‘Like Nimrod, a mighty hunter before the
- 10:10 – “The first centers of his kingdom were:
- 10:11- “From that land he went to Assyria,
where he built:
between Nineveh and Calah, the great city.
Shem (Semites) (26 nations)
10:30-31 – “The region where they lived stretched
from Mesha toward Sephar, in the eastern hill country. These are the sons of Shem by their clans and
languages, in their territories and nations.”
Two sons from Shelah:
13 sons from
- 10:25 – “One was named Peleg,
because in his time the earth was divided.”