This chapter serves as an illustration of Jesus’ words “I am the light of the world” in 8:12.
This sign shows the origin of faith and its development.
This man may have been a well known man in the streets and everyone appears to know him and his story.
Theological question with out compassion.
The disciples where alluding to Exodus 34:7 “punishing the children and their children for the sin of their fathers to the third and fourth generation.” (Ex. 20:5)
Their conclusion was that any suffering must be due to sin or disobedience.
The disciples follow some Rabbi’s teaching that this man could have sinned in a preexistent state, sinned in the womb (Jacob and Esau in Gen. 25:22) or God knew of some sin he would have committed were he not born blind.
There would have been an ongoing debate in Jerusalem about predestination and cause.
In Philippians 4:12-13 Paul says he has “learned the secret of being content in any and every situation.”
With the phrase “learned the secret” he uses a technical term that refers to the process of initiation.
· The situations in life are then listed by Paul
· “well fed,” “hungry,” “in plenty,” or “in want.”
· first prosperity phrase (“well fed”) is passive. Meaning Paul was the recipient and not the doer of the verb. In other words he did not cause it to happen.
· This is true of the last phrase (“in want”) indicating there were times that Paul was in need that were out of his control. Paul did not deserve or cause the lack in this situation, it was given to him.
· The other two phrases (“hungry” or “plenty”) are in the active tense meaning Paul did or created both of these in his life at some time.
Jesus rejected the idea of the man sinning, the parents sinning or that any sin was involved.
Jesus said this was a chance for God to display his work
Refers to the end of Jesus ministry. He has about six months to go before the cross.
“We” includes the disciples.
The clay in the man’s eyes would be for the blind man to feel and to know that something had been done to him.
The clay reminds us of the act of creation.
Pool of Siloam is on the southern end of the city.
Four groups respond:
d)The blind man