- Ends the section began at 4:1 which concerns living the
Christian life. The theme continues through out that section (chapters
4-6) and it includes this part
- Ends the book. More than being the end of chapters 4-6,
these verses also connect the whole of the book. The “spiritual” (ch. 1-3) and the “application” (ch.
4-6) are combined in this portion.
- Final conclusion. These verses (6:10-20) can stand
alone as the ultimate point of the book. Everything has been building up
to this. These verses are more than just another section of the book, or,
as some have described them, an extra thought or addition.
is the ultimate application of the truth presented in chapters 1-3 and the
expectations of the Christian described in 4-6.
- 6:10-20 describes the Christian walk and responsibility
from a cosmic perspective.
- The moral issues are not simply legalistic requirements
or social preferences but are part of a broader struggle between good and
evil that goes back into eternity past.
The armor of God is the armor of Yahweh
and his Messiah from Isaiah:
- Isaiah 11:4-5
- Isaiah 59:17
- Isaiah 49:2
- Isaiah 52:7
- Paul had previously written about this armor earlier in
First Thessalonians 5:8
This armor that was worn by Yahweh and
his Messiah has now been provided to his people who also find themselves
engaged in this cosmic battle (if they know it or not; if they want to engage
Concerning chapters 4-6
- 4:1 begins with “live a life
worthy”. The verb “peripateo” (which is
translated “walk” or “live”) has been used five times:
- Ephesians 4:1
- Ephesians 4:17
- Ephesians 5:2
- Ephesians 5:8
- Ephesians 5:15 (which included living wisely with
Concerning the Connections to
Paul is not introducing new concepts in
6:10-20, but instead is building on them and making application with them here.
These are the concepts have appeared through out the book:
1) The imperative in 6:10 "be
strong in the Lord"
1:19-20 - power of
3:16 - strengthening
through the Spirit
3:20 - praise that
God's power is at work among them
1:21 - Christ has
already triumphed over the powers
3:10 - (same)
2) The disobedient are still a problem
3) Heavenly Realm
- 4:15, 21, 24, 25
7) The gospel
8) Word of God
1:1, 13, 15, 19