Paul is in Rome waiting to appear before Caesar. Paul
would be making a Gospel presentation to Caesar Nero. The result of Paul's
appearance would determine his own safety and future, but more, the future of
Paul asks for prayers for
himself of ministry partners concerning their ministry:
- Romans 15:30-32
- 2 Cor. 1:11
- Col. 4:3-4
- 1 Thess. 5:25
- 2 Thess 3:1, 2
- Phil. 1:19
Paul asks for prayer
- Freely - Words given him - parrhsia "parresia"
- "speaking everything, speaking openly, boldness"
- Clearly - boldly proclaim the mystery - gnwrisai "gnorisai"
"to make known"
- declare it boldly - parrhsiaswmai "parresiasomai"
- "to speak everything, to speak openly and frankly, to speak
boldly, to be bold"
a word may be given" = "may be given" is passive indicating God
would give it.
is "utterance" which means the spoken word
in chains" - ambassadors at this time in history were honored positions
and there is never an example of an ambassador serving
while being held as a prisoner. In fact, the imprisonment of an ambassador would
be a treaty violation and a declaration of
Tychicus - see Colossians 4:7-8.Tychicus would deliver the
letters to the Lycus valley. Tychicus is with Paul in Rome when he wrote Philemon, Colossians and
- Acts 20:4 - accompanied Paul to Jerusalem with offering
- Likely a native of Ephesus
- Often mentioned with Tromphimus
who was also a native of Ephesus
(Tromphimus was charged with being with Paul in
the temple - Ac.21:29)
- Likely was with Tromphimus
(two brethren) who accompanied Titus with the delivery of 2 Corinthians (2
- Tychicus was sent to Crete
to be with Titus (Titus 3:12)
- Tychicus was sent to Ephesus to be with Timothky
(2 Tim. 4:12)
Ancient letters were
concluded with a wish for the welfare of the reader.
Paul turns this closing into
a prayer of benediction.
Both were used in Paul's
introduction in 1:2
with faith" means "love accompanied by faith" is from 1:15 and