Principalities, Powers, etc. have already been mentioned as neutral in:
A portion (1/3, Rev. 12:4)) rebelled and are now hostile to God
They have been disarmed in Colossians 2:15 on the cross.
Disarmed powers are no threat to the saved people who are covered with the panoply of God.
But, the problem for the believer is that they may not have put that armor on.
The believer has been told to "put off the old self" and "put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness" in Eph. 4:22-24
Believers can even give Satan and his principalities room in their lives: "Do not give the devil a foothold." (Eph.4:27)
Classes of Evil Forces:
People who disobey are under their power and authority (Eph. 2:2)
The panoply is available, but we must put it on.
"Put on" - "ἀναλάβετε" is aorist imperative active
The Roman soldier was a man who could be counted on.
"Having Done All" means "having accomplished all that your duty requires"
The Roman soldier was to stand his ground and not give up.
Paul says, when you have done your full duty of standing your ground, then you
still must stand.
We live in an evil age, so the day of evil would be a particular time when that evil manifests itself in a moment in our life.
Each piece of armor is a divine characteristic or gift.
This armor, of divine character is the way you stand.
1 Thes. 5:8
These are ethical qualities
These are not:
1) Belt of Truth - Isaiah 11:5 "righteousness shall be the girdle of his waist, and faithfulness (LXX "truth") the girdle of his loins"
2) Breastplate of righteousness - Isaiah 59:11 righteousness is the breastplate.
3) Feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the Gospel of peace - The feet are what you will be using to stand. Isaiah 52:7 and Romans 10:15. The "readiness" refers to the person whose feet are prepared to understand and proclaim the gospel. We must know and communicate the gospel that enables us to stand.
4) Shield of Faith - fire tipped darts - is this faith in God or faithfulness to God. The answer is in 1 Peter 5:8-9. Here Satan is resisted by being firm in your faith. This is flint like resolution and commitment to what you believe.
5) Helmet of Salvation- Isaiah 59:17 Yahweh wears this and gains the victory. 1 Thessalonians 5:8 mentions the hope of salvation.
6) Sword of the Spirit, Word of God - Isaiah 11:4; Revel. 19:15; Deut 8:3. This is the Word of God, spoken by the Spirit and heard by us empowered by the Spirit